Since 2001, Access Health has been working within our community, creating opportunities for health and increasing awareness and education about choosing healthier lifestyles. Below are a list of highlights that we have accomplished through the hard work of our staff, partners, leadership, and support.
- Worked with Brunswick and Bath elementary schools and parent volunteers to establish year round, monthly walk and bike to school days.
- Collaborated with Brunswick Downtown Association to create a new Brunswick Walking Map that highlights walking routes, bike racks, crosswalks, and other bike and pedestrian safety features in the downtown Brunswick area.
- Collaborated with two area Farmers’ Markets to install EBT machines, allowing use of food stamp, credit, and debit cards and increasing access to healthy local foods.
- Established 5-2-1-0 programs and workshops at area schools and child care providers.
- Implemented healthy eating and cooking class programs for low income residents.
- Worked with local community organizations to create tobacco policies and enforcement strategies including Curtis Memorial Library, Patten Free Library, and Bath Parks and Recreation.
- Created a district-wide landlord Healthy Homes quarterly newsletter.
- Developed an ongoing partnership with our local health officers to populate health information kiosks at town halls throughout our region.
- Launched text-a-tip service for community members to anonymously report underage drinking to law enforcement.
- Established risk-reduction classes for area youth that have had experience with tobacco, alcohol, or drugs.
- Hosted Retail Server and Seller trainings for local businesses, training almost 300 clerks and servers in responsible alcohol selling practices.
- Created a network of medication collection boxes throughout the region.