Access Health is making our communities healthier by preventing youth from starting to use tobacco; making it easier for tobacco users to quit; and helping to create more smoke-free/tobacco-free environments.
Access Health’s Efforts
- Interactive presentations at schools and community health fairs
- Promotion of approved statewide and national campaigns, such as #CATmageddon:
- “Thinking about Quitting”, a 45 minute presentation to share tools and ideas on how to quit or help others quit
- Promotion of free quit resources such as the Maine Tobacco Helpline 1-800-207-1230 and QuitLink.
Creating Smoke-Free/Tobacco-Free Environments
- Technical assistance to develop or update smoke-free/tobacco-free policies and assist with enforcement issues. Provide signage. Entities include recreation areas, schools, colleges, housing, hospitals, municipalities, and workplaces.
- Technical assistance to create tobacco-free events such as fairs, annual celebrations, farmers’ markets and bike rodeos. Provide signage.
- Training sessions and presentations on the effects of secondhand and third-hand smoke.
Join us we support tobacco-free environments in our area! For more information, or to become involved in local efforts, contact Linda Christie at 373-6926.
E-Cigarettes & Vaping: Youth e-cigarette rates are tripling, visit us regularly for up to date information.
- E-Cigarette Facts, from the Maine CDC
- Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems: Key Facts from the CDC
- Vaping and Health: What Do We Know about E-Cigarettes? : Environmental Health Perspectives, Sept. 2014
- Electronic Cigarettes: US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Bangor Public Health’s Vaping Campaign:
- The Maine Tobacco HelpLine Maine (1-800-207-1230) – offers free and confidential support to quit smoking
- The QuitLink – Maine’s community of online support to quit smoking
- The Partnership for a Tobacco Free Maine – resources about quitting, tobacco prevention, dangers of second-hand smoke, information on tobacco laws and more
- Mid Coast Hospital Center for Community Health and Wellness – Offers one-on-one tobacco cessation counseling, call 373-6595
- Breathe Easy Coalition – Statewide coalition focused on creating smoke-free environments